Hospital Broadcasting Association (HBA) Awards
- Gold – Station of the Year
“The judges said this is incredible hospital radio of the highest quality. From royal visits to local elections, the station appears embedded in both hospital and community life. There is considered presentation by highly talented volunteers who are obviously passionate about their craft and supporting the patients recovery. This was – according to the judges – a brilliantly textured entry, showing the huge diversity of content the station produces.”
- Nomination – Best Specialist Music Programme Bedside Broadway
- Nomination – Best Speech Package Up On The Roof
- Nomination – Station Of The Year
- Gold – Special Event Alpha Sessions 10th Anniversary
- Nomination – Speech Package UCL Open Day
- Bronze – Best Newcomer Kate Beatty
- Nomination – Station Promotion On The Mend
- Gold – Station Of The Year
“The judges said in a tight field, Brockley nudged ahead because there were simply no weak links. The coverage of hospital events was very well presented. As an award entry, this entry perfectly showcased the work of a loyal and dedicated team. Again, a diverse range of shows were presented but the stations overall quality was greater than the sum of its parts. A truly great hospital radio station at the top of its game.”
- Bronze – Best Speech Package – reports on the construction of, and the topping out ceremony for, the new RNOH patient block (officially now called The Stanmore Building). “The judges agreed this was a very interesting package, with a good use of sound effects that brought the piece to life.”
- Nomination (top 5) – Best Programme with Multiple Presenters – “Thursday Live”
- Gold – Best Speech Package -“The Story of Radio Brockley”
- Silver – Station of the Year
- Bronze – Specialist Music Programme “Music Travels” with Daniel Edward
- Nomination – Best Female Presenter Judy De Hellner
- Gold – Station of the Year
“One judge said there are more voices on this entry than others I’ve heard, which is lovely. The audio of Emily and her brain tumour story brought a tear to one judges eye and was well handled by the presenter. Another judge said it’s clear Radio Brockley is an integral part of their hospital – not just broadcasting for the patients but also covering various staff events too. A great listen and a deserved winner…”
- Silver – Best Speech Package “RNOH Clinical Trials Day” for Ron Laver and Sue Weston’s coverage of the event.
“The judges enjoyed this entry, loving the variety and the ambition that went in to preparing this piece. The descriptions were ideal, bringing the event to life.”
- Bronze – Station Promotion “Thursday Live”.
“The judges said this promo sounded very much on target and what a Hospital Radio Station should be doing. A great use of different patient voices, showing variety and a real understanding of what Thursday Live is all about.”
- Nomination – Specialist Music Show “The Country Music Show” with Ron Laver
- The John Whitney Award was presented to Keith Reeve for his outstanding contribution to UK hospital broadcasting.
“Keith is someone who has served at their station for nearly 40 years. They’ve clearly safeguarded its existence through the many ups and down of hospital radio life. They’ve shown to have a good relationship with hospital management, have led various upgrades at their station…being among the first to use the Wi-Fi Spark Service and has supported other stations too. They’re a previous Gold Award Winner here at the Awards and as a presenter has led the station’s longest-running weekday shows in its history. They’ve trained new presenters, supported other members, have demonstrated the key value of patient involvement and are – themselves – more involved than ever.”
- Silver – Station Of The Year
- Bronze – Station Promotion “The Thursday Experience”
- Bronze – Special Event Charity Bike Ride
- Bronze – Best Female Presenter Marge Walker
- Gold – Best Speech Package for Keith Reeve’s coverage of HRH Princess Eugenie’s surprise Christmas visit to the children’s wards
- Silver – Best Newcomer Molly Townson
- Bronze – Station Of The Year
- Nomination – Best Female Presenter Molly Townson
- Nominations – Station of The Year, Special Event and Best Speech Package.
- Gold – Special Event for coverage of the opening of the RNOH Outpatient Assessment Centre at Bolsover Street. The programme was produced by Keith Reeve, supported by other Radio Brockley team members.
- Gold – Best Speech Package for Daniel Gee’s interview with then RNOH Chairman Donald Hoodless